Top 5 things to do this weekend
Jul 21, 2015 at 11:58 AM
(1) Enjoy the season — Take some time from the hustle and bustle of Christmas shopping and party preparations to take in some of the area's holiday season. Visit Santa's House in downtown Grand Haven, take in the Nativity Scene from Waterfront Stadium, ride the Santa Train in Coopersville, visit the Holiday Road light show in Norton Shores, tour the neighborhoods in the evening to see all the lights and decorations, and attend at least one of the many special church services.
(2) For the Love of Sally concerts — 5:30-6:30 p.m. Friday and 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Saturday at the D&W store, 1116 Robbins Road in Grand Haven. The Guys in the Neighborhood perform Friday and members of The River Rogues perform Saturday. It's free, but The Salvation Army red kettles need filling.
(3) Solstice Sun Salutations — 9 a.m. to noon Saturday at On The Path Yoga, 617 E. Savidge St. in Spring Lake. Join the yoga center's staff and members as they recognize the return of the sun with "108 Sun Salutations." Come when you can, stay as long as you like. Drop-ins are welcome. "This is an ancient practice in the yogic tradition and a guaranteed way to get a little internal heat going on the shortest day of the year," said the center's owner, Sandy Parker. "There is no charge to participate, but we are collecting donations of new warm pajamas in children and teen sizes for Love INC's Spread the Warmth campaign. For details, call 616-935-7028.
(4) Outdoor Winter Scavenger Hunt — 2 p.m. Saturday at the Nature Education Center at Hemlock Crossing, Port Sheldon Township. Join the park staff for an outdoor scavenger hunt. They say you will be surprised by what you'll find in nature. For details, visit the Ottawa County Parks' website, miottawa.org/Parks, or call 616-738-4810
(5) Family Fireside Story — 2 p.m. Sunday, also at the Nature Education Center at Hemlock Crossing. Bring the family and gather around the center's fireplace to listen to a nature-related story. It will be followed by an activity or a discovery walk focused on the theme of the story. The story, activities and hike will last 90 minutes. There are no program fees and advance registration is not required.
Did I miss something? Log in and tell us all about it in the comment section below.