Top 5 things to do this weekend
Jul 21, 2015 at 12:29 PM
Here's your top five best bets for this weekend, April 19-21:
(1) Lakeshore Earth Day Celebration — A lot of environment-friendly events will take place in Grand Haven on Saturday, and most are free. It begins with a Green Earth March at noon, starting from the parking lot south of the County Courthouse. The Earth Day Fair follows at the Grand Haven Community Center, 421 Columbus Ave. The fair (1-4 p.m.) will include demonstrations, information booths, food, games and environmentally friendly products; hour-long rain barrel workshops at 1 and again at 2:30 pm. ($30 fee); and the showing of the documentary "Bag-It" at 3 p.m. The Earth Rock Concert will take place across the street at Central Park from 4-7 p.m. (rain venue is the Community Center). Lemon Creek Winery, 327 N. Beacon Blvd., is also having an Earth Day Celebration all weekend.
(2) Chilly Blues Festival — This fun event has been going on in downtown Grand Haven for more than 20 years as one of the ways we welcome spring. Live music featuring national blues acts coincide with the chili cookoff contest at Snug Harbor on Saturday afternoon. The music starts Friday night with live music at the Dee Lite, Kirby, Theatre Bar, Odd Side Ales and Rosebud. Saturday's cookoff begins at noon, and there's more live music at several downtown venues including a beer tent in the Municipal Marina parking lot ($12). For details, visit harborrestaurants.com.
(3) Katty Shack — This event centers on a 5K run/walk on Saturday to benefit the Crime Victim Foundation. It will start with a pasta dinner from 4:30-6:30 p.m. Friday at St. Patrick's Family Center, 920 Fulton Ave., Grand Haven. Tickets are $8 for adults, $5 for ages 5-12, and free for kids ages 4 and younger. Lew Russ and Company will provide music. Registration for the race ($27) is 7-8:30 a.m. Saturday at Mary A. White Elementary School in Grand Haven, with a pre-race ceremony at 8:45. The race will begin at 9 a.m. It concludes with an award ceremony, door prizes and pancake breakfast at St. John's Lutheran Church, 527 Taylor Ave. For details and registration info, visit kattyshackrace.webs.com.
(4) I Swim for Shelby Jane Swimathon — 5-9 p.m. Saturday at the Grand Haven High School Aquatic Center, 17001 Ferris St., Grand Haven Township. This event benefits the Shelby Jane Hardebeck Memorial Technical Swim Camp. Come to swim, cheer on the swimmers or check out the tasty dessert walk. For details, see the "I Swim for Shelby Jane Swimathon" Facebook page.
(5) Music by the Fireplace — Classical guitarist Jeff Dwarshuis will play at Spring District Lake Library, 123 E. Exchange St., from 3-4 p.m. Sunday. Admission is free.
Did I miss something? Log in and tell us all about it in the comment section below.