Top 5 things to do this weekend
Jul 21, 2015 at 12:36 PM
This weekend, May 10-12, includes the first local farmers market of the season, plus a native plant sale and special event at a local state park.
(1) Relay for Life — 3 p.m. Friday to 3 p.m. Saturday at White Pines Middle School, 1400 S. Griffin St. in Grand Haven. The 24-hour walk benefits the American Cancer Society. The opening ceremony is at 6 p.m. Friday; followed by community pig roast ($5), and survivor and caregiver lap. They'll have Zumba from 9-11 a.m. Saturday, followed by lunch at 11:30 (soups and sandwiches, $5). The closing ceremony is at 12:30 p.m., but the relay continues until 3 p.m. For details, CLICK HERE.
(2) Grand Haven Farmers Market — 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at Grand Haven's Chinook Pier, under the green canopy. Fresh flowers, fruits, vegetables and other goods will be for sale. You might find a great Mother's Day gift. This is coordinated by the local Chamber of Commerce. They'll add Wednesday mornings in June.
(3) Spring Blooms in the Dunes — 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at P.J. Hoffmaster State Park, 6585 Lake Harbor Road, at the west end of Pontaluna Road, Norton Shores. A native plant sale, children’s activities and presentation on native plants for birds will take place in the Gillette Visitor Center. You can also take special hikes highlighting the park's birds. Children must be accompanied by an adult. It's all free. For details, CLICK HERE.
(4) West Michigan Symphony — 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday at the Frauenthal Center for the Performing Arts, 425 W. Western Ave. in downtown Muskegon. The program celebrates "Three Broadway Divas": Jan Horvath, Debbie Gravitte and Christiane Noll. Ticket prices range from $18 to $48. For details, visit westmichigansymphony.org.
(5) Michael McDermott — 8 p.m. Saturday at Seven Steps Up, 116 S. Jackson St., Spring Lake. Doors open at 7 p.m. Tickets at the door are $20. Author Stephen King is a fan; he said: "Michael McDermott is the greatest undiscovered rock'n'roll talent of the last 20 years." King also used McDermott's lyrics in two of his novels. For details, CLICK HERE.
Also, Holland's Tulip Time concludes this weekend.
Did I miss something? Log in and tell us all about it in the comment section below.