Top 5 things to do this weekend
Jul 21, 2015 at 12:43 PM
Despite some threats earlier this year that the local museum's Feast of the Strawberry Moon would be canned, it's happening this weekend, June 8-9.
So are some other great outdoor activities on the first weekend after the end of the school year.
(1) Feast of the Strawberry Moon — 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday on Grand Haven's Harbor Island. The Tri-Cities Historical Museum hosts the 13th annual event that demonstrates life as it was here in the late 18th-century. Admission is $5 per person, or $15 for a family. Parking on the island is free. Click the attached jpeg (above) for a detailed schedule of activities.
(2) Ashley's Life Over Lyme — 9 a.m. to noon Saturday at Hemlock Crossing county park, 8115 West Olive Road, West Olive. Proceeds from participating in the 5K or 5-mile non-competitive run or walk benefit the Michigan Lyme Disease Association. Organized by Ashley Rice, a Grand Haven Township girl who is overcoming the dibiliating effects of Lyme disease. For details, visit lifeoverlyme.org.
(3) Grand River Kayak Race — 8:30-11 a.m. Saturday at Felix’s Marina, 14023 Green St., Robinson Township. Racing begins at 9:30. A big goal of the event is to provide families and children with the experience of competing in a kayak race. The cost to enter is $10 for youth, and $25 for amateurs and pros. For details, visit lakeshorekayakrental.com.
(4) "The Earth Through NASA's Eyes" — 7 p.m. Saturday at White Pines Middle School, 1400 S. Griffin St., Grand Haven. The event at the school's planetarium is being held in conjunction with NASA's Solar System Ambassadors program. Admission is free.
(5) Vintage Camper Gathering and Open House — 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at P.J. Hoffmaster State Park, 6585 Lake Harbor Road in Norton Shores. Vintage campers will be open to view, plus craft items and games. It's free, but you will need a state recreational pass to drive into the park. For details, CLICK HERE.
Did I miss something? Log in and tell us all about it in the comment section below.