Top 5 things to do this weekend
Jul 21, 2015 at 12:45 PM
(1) Spring Lake Heritage Festival — The Friends of the Spring Lake District Library's annual book sale is going on from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday. The Spring Lake Wesleyan Church parking lot will be filled with classic cars from 5-9 Friday night. The festival beer tent opens at 6:30 p.m. Friday, with Sweet Justice playing (admission is $3 with valid ID). A 5k run/walk and golf scramble are Saturday morning, with a Lions Club pancake breakfast at Barber School from 8-11 a.m. A presentation on the Battle of Gettysburg (its 150th anniversary is just weeks away) will take place at Barber School at 2 p.m. Winsor McCay Highland Games will be going on at Central Park from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and the beer tent (with music by Thirsty Perch) opens again at 6:30 p.m. The fireworks off Mill Point Park will cap the fest at 10:15 p.m. Saturday. If you need more details, visit slheritagefestival.com.
(2) Birds of Chicago — 8:30 p.m. Saturday at Seven Steps Up, 116 S. Jackson St., Spring Lake. As if enough is not going on in Spring Lake this weekend, this band will be flying. Tickets start at $22. See birdsofchicago.com.
(3) Cup Cake Wars — 2:30-4 p.m. Friday at Loutit District Library, 407 Columbus Ave., Grand Haven. Teens in grades 7-12 will compete. Registration has ended, but feel free to drop in and watch 'em bake.
(4) Irish Music Session — 1-3 p.m. Saturday at Loutit District Library, 407 Columbus Ave., Grand Haven. Stop by and give them a listen. Or join in: Acoustic musicians of all levels and ages are invited.
(5) Free tours for dads — Sunday is Father's Day, and one way you can celebrate with your dad is take him to the Hackley & Hume Historic Site in downtown Muskegon. He gets in free to see these lavish Victorian homes. For the rest of you, ages 13 and older, admission is $5. The site is open from noon to 4 p.m. Sunday. For directions, visit lakeshoremuseum.org.
Did I miss something? Log in and tell us all about it in the comment section below.