logo



Grease fire slows work day at mall-area sports bar

Becky Vargo • Nov 22, 2016 at 2:55 PM

FRUITPORT TWP. — Firefighters responded to a sports bar near The Lakes Mall on Tuesday morning when employees there reported a grease fire.

The first firefighters on the scene at Booyahs!, 6022 Harvey St., reported smoke and flames coming from the stove area shortly after 8 a.m.

Fruitport Township Public Safety Director Brian Michelli said a fire official manually activated the hood fire suppression system and that extinguished the fire. Firefighters from Fruitport Township and Norton Shores used fans to ventilate smoke from the building.

Michelli said the fire started when the bar’s morning crew was starting food prep for the day.

Michelli said damage was contained to the cooktop. There was no damage to the building.

The owner of the bar met with health department officials later Tuesday and expected to be open later the same day, Michelli said.

Recommended for You