Smoke was seen coming from the Corner Lane Apartments, 14434 State Road, west of 144th Avenue, at about 5:20 p.m.
Spring Lake Township Fire Chief Brian Sipe said the resident didn’t realize he had dropped a cigarette on a chair, prior to moving to his bedroom to take a nap. The man was awakened by the smoke detector in his apartment and found a chair and some clothes on fire.
The man then called 911 and evacuated the apartment.
Sipe said the man removed the clothes, but the chair was still smoldering when firefighters arrived. The fire was quickly put out with a fire extinguisher, the fire chief said.
Crockery Township and Ferrysburg fire departments also responded to the scene as part of an automatic mutual aid response for a structure fire.
All firefighters cleared the scene in less than an hour.