A contractor working at the home at 16069 Lake Point Drive, in the Harbor Point subdivision, reported shortly before 9 a.m. that there was a burning rubber smell in the pool shed, which was located under the back deck of the house.
Firefighters opened the ceiling of the shed and eventually determined that the burning smell was actually vegetation that heated up when the furnace was running, according to Deputy Fire Chief Len Vanderjagt. There was no fire, although the situation was a potential fire hazard, Vanderjagt said.
The deputy chief said the furnace was improperly vented between the deck floor boards and the shed roof. Once the shed was closed in, it didn’t allow for the heat to escape.
Firefighters were on the scene for about an hour.
Spring Lake firefighters also responded as part of an automatic mutual aid on a structure fire.