logo



Doris Court house fire ruled accidental

Becky Vargo • Mar 22, 2018 at 10:40 AM

A fire that destroyed a Grand Haven home last week has been ruled accidental.

“Officers completed the fire investigation this week,” Grand Haven Public Safety Director Jeff Hawke said. “Based on interviews with witnesses and conditions in the home, it has been determined that the fire was accidental in nature and likely caused by an electrical problem.”

Firefighters from the Grand Haven Department of Public Safety and three other area departments responded to 1871 Doris Court at about 1 p.m. March16, only to find fire already going through the home’s roof. 

Homeowner Margie Davis, 77, known locally as the “Bird Lady,” had safely evacuated her home. However, she lost all of her pets, including several exotic birds used in programs and at special events. Her dog, a rabbit and a chinchilla were also lost in the fire.

Hawke said that the Davis home was insured and estimated the loss at between $350,000 and $370,000.

Davis was able to move in with her daughter, who set up a fundraising page to help her mother at: www.gofundme.com/bird-lady-margie-grand-haven-fire.

Recommended for You

    Grand Haven Tribune Videos