logo



Firefighters extinguish garage fire on State Road

Tribune Staff • Apr 20, 2018 at 12:15 PM

Update (2:30 p.m.) — Homeowner Jake Anderson and his fiance, Jessica Vetter, had both left for work, so nobody was home when a neighbor noticed smoke billowing out of their detached garage. 

Several local fire departments converged on the fire, which was contained to the garage and was quickly extinguished. 

Spring Lake Fire Chief Brian Sipe said it appears the fire may have started from a heating pad, which the couple kept on a couch in the garage for their cat. 

Much of the garage’s contents were destroyed, including a 1974 Glastron boat which belonged to Anderson’s parents. The boat had just recently been restored. The garage also contained tools, lawn mowers and a pool table. 

Original Story:

CROCKERY TWP. — Firefighters from several local departments responded to a house fire at 12670 State Road on Friday morning. 

The fire was put out shortly before noon. 

Firefighters from Crockery, Spring Lake, Ferrysburg and Fruitport were on the scene. 

More information will be provided as it becomes available. 

Recommended for You

    Grand Haven Tribune Videos