logo



Firefighters: Extension cord short leads to boat lift fire

Becky Vargo • Jun 1, 2018 at 9:21 AM

FERRYSBURG — Firefighters believe an extension cord powering a boat lift shorted out, causing the boat lift on Spring Lake to catch on fire Friday morning.

Ottawa County Sheriff’s deputies initially responded to a call of a power line down at about 7:30 a.m. on Lakeview Street, near Williams Street, in Ferrysburg. A short time later, they noticed the boat lift burning.

Ferrysburg firefighters, a crew from the Grand Haven Board of Light & Power and a Coast Guard boat also responded to the scene.

Officials said the surge in power possibly burned through a weak spot in a nearby power line, causing it to fail.

Police blocked off the street until the BLP workers verified that there was no power to the line.

The utility crew still had to cut power, fed by a different line, to the electrical box at the dock. Once that was done, firefighters were able to use an extinguisher to put out the fire. 

Recommended for You

    Grand Haven Tribune Videos