1. NO RELIEF IN SIGHT FOR FLOOD-HIT HOUSTON
Thousands are rescued as the storm that started as Hurricane Harvey has dumped some 30 inches of rain on the city, with another two feet in the forecast.
2. TRUMP VOWS 'FAST' FEDERAL AID FOR STORM VICTIMS
The president says his administration will ask Congress for far more than the $3 billion that the Federal Emergency Management Agency now has on hand.
3. CHARITIES STEP UP DONATION REQUESTS AMID FLOODS
Donating directly through the website of an established relief agency is the fastest way to get money to those in need, philanthropy experts say.
4. NORTH KOREA FIRES MISSILE OVER JAPAN
The test flight sends a clear message of defiance as Washington and Seoul conduct war games nearby.
5. WHERE TRUMP CONSIDERED BUILDING A TOWER
His personal lawyer says then-candidate Trump pursued a construction project in Moscow during the GOP primary, but later dropped the plan.
6. 'I HAVEN'T GONE AWAY'
Following his presidential pardon, ex-Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio says he may return to politics.
7. WHAT'S CHEAPER AT WHOLE FOODS
A half-gallon of milk costs 50 cents less and ground beef is down $2 a pound as Amazon kicks off its ownership of Whole Foods.
8. AUDIT FINDS NURSING HOME ABUSE GOES UNREPORTED
More than 1 in 4 cases of possible sexual and physical abuse against elderly patients apparently is not reported to police, a government study finds.
9. WHY INDIAN SPIRITUAL GURU GETS PRISON SENTENCE
The bling-loving guru, who calls himself Dr. Saint Gurmeet Singh Ram Rahim Insan, is sent to jail for 20 years on rape charges.
10. VENUS WILLIAMS STAYS IN HUNT FOR TOP RANKING
Williams defeat Viktoria Kuzmova of Slovakia as the U.S. open gets underway.