Leave Feedback

Village, state bury land acquisition grant

Marie Havenga • Jul 21, 2015 at 11:04 AM

After Village Councilman Marv VandenBosch and Ann Street residents complained earlier this summer about phase 2 routing, Village Council voted to drop plans for the second leg of the nonmotorized path, which was slated to run from Division Avenue east to Leonard Road.

In essence, that canned the state grant.

However, council earlier this month voted to explore amending the original grant request to include only the Mill Point Park expansion parcel — and to seek $129,400 instead of the original $330,000 that was approved.

Village Manager Ryan Cotton informed council Monday night that state officials notified him that the trust fund board would not approve such an amendment. According to Cotton, state officials said it would not be fair to other communities who were denied funding during the December 2010 grant awarding process.

DNR spokesman John Mays said the trust fund board would consider the change in project scope “significant” and that he would encourage council to withdraw its grant request.

Council voted 5-0 Monday night to do just that.

To read more of this story, see today’s print or e-edition of the Grand Haven Tribune.

Recommended for You