City OKs measures for airport terminal expansion engineering

Alex Doty • Jul 21, 2015 at 11:17 AM

The grant approved by council is being used to pay for professional engineering services with URS Corp. for the airport expansion.

“It’s a block grant with money coming to the city from the (Federal Aviation Administration) and (Michigan Department of Transportation),” Grand Haven Transportation Director Tom Manderscheid said.

The project has been identified in the city’s proposed Airport Layout Plan and 10-year Capital Improvement Plan. It is federally funded at 95 percent, with the state and city splitting the remaining 5 percent.

“The best part about this is the contribution on the city’s part,” Manderscheid said.

According to Manderscheid, the cost of the engineering services is $47,000 — and the 2.5 percent city share amounts to just $1,175.

Initial plans call for a 1,500-square-foot addition to the airport terminal building. This expansion will include Americans with Disabilities Act-compliant bathrooms, a meeting area and a small kitchenette.

To read more of this story, see today’s print or e-edition of the Grand Haven Tribune.

Recommended for You

    Grand Haven Tribune Videos