MAILBAG: Can I park downtown overnight?

Mark Brooky • Jul 21, 2015 at 11:43 AM


Denise, it's all waiting for you at Grand Haven City Hall, 519 Washington Ave. Go right when you enter the front doors and stop by the clerk/treasurer's office.

You can also download the brochure from grandhaven.org.

In a nutshell, resident parking permits are only available to long-term downtown residents. They are $120 per year or $10 per month, and can be pro-rated. Residents may obtain either a resident parking permit or a transferrable parking permit.

You will have to complete the registration at the city clerk's office. Bring a proof of vehicle registration, proof of residency in the downtown district, and contact number for your landlord if you're renting.

You will hang the permit from your vehicle's rearview mirror.

There's more rules, too. See the brochure, which I've attached at the bottom (Related File).

Short-term renters can get a temporary resident parking permit from the clerk's office, too. That's $20 per month. The brochure has all that info.

Overnight visitors can obtain an overnight permit from the kiosk at the corner of First Street and Franklin Avenue. It's $5 per day.

If you have permit questions, call 616-842-3210. For enforcement and citation concerns, call 616-842-3460. After hours, on weekends, and holidays, call 616-994-7850.

Do you have a question for the Tribune? E-mail it to news@grandhaventribune.com, and type MAILBAG in the subject line. Or mail it the old-fashioned way to: Grand Haven Tribune, MAILBAG, 101 N. Third St., Grand Haven, MI 49417. We'll do our best to get you an answer! A new Mailbag appears on grandhaventribune.com at 5 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

Recommended for You