The ninth annual Salmon Festival kicks off Friday evening, with a growing slate of activities for Saturday.
As if that's not enough, there's a big schedule of events for the area on Saturday. ArtWalk is in full stride, as well as the bigger ArtPrize in Grand Rapids.
(1) Salmon Festival — This festival keeps getting bigger and more popular every year. The Fresh Catch Fish Boil is 4:30-7:30 p.m. Friday at the Municipal Marina parking lot ($10 adults, $5 ages 12 and under), with live music and a silent auction. The Big King fishing contest is Saturday morning, with weighing in of the fish in the afternoon. Also Saturday, the Kids Zone is at Waterfront Stadium from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., wine tasting and Salmon Cookoff ($20) is 1-5 p.m., and live music under the Fall Harvest entertainment tent can be heard and enjoyed with beverages from 8 p.m. to midnight (must 21 or older, $3 cover charge). There's also the grape stomp, fine art fair and historic displays. For details, visit visitgrandhaven.com/salmon-festival-11/.
(2) ArtWalk 2012 — The third annual Grand Haven art competition kicked off Wednesday and runs through Oct. 3. Saturday's special activities include Family Art Day from noon to 3 p.m. at the Stanco building on Fulton, between First and Second streets, with canvas painting and entertainment. Mural Mania is at the same spot from 5–7 p.m. Saturday, when two teams of artists and two walls will compete. The public and a jury will select the winners. Free food and live music. For more details, visit ghartwalk.com.
(3) New to Me Sale — 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at Covenant Life Church, 101 Columbus Ave., Grand Haven. Proceeds from this communitywide sale go to several area charities.
(4) Birding — 8-10 a.m. on Grand Haven's north shore. Meet at 8 at the north pier, where Roger Tharp will lead the group to look for aquatic birds. About 45 minutes later, the group will go the Kitchel-Lindquist-Hartger Dunes Preserve to look for birds on a walk through the preserve.
(5) Mums the word — I didn't know this, but apparently people buy mums this time of year to brighten up their homes. They'll be sold for $10 each from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at St. Patrick's Catholic Church, 920 Fulton Ave., Grand Haven. This is another fundraiser for the Grand Haven High School Chamber Choir and Symphony Orchestra Trip to Europe.
Honorable mentions — Pancake breakfast to benefit Paws With a Cause, 7:30-10:30 a.m. Saturday at Masonic Temple, 344 Fulton Ave., Grand Haven; USTA Free Tennis Play Day for youth, 1-2:30 p.m. Saturday at White Pines Middle School, 1400 Griffin St., Grand Haven; Oh You Dirty Dog Wash, 1-4 p.m. Saturday at Harborfront Hospital for Animals, 807 W. Savidge St., Spring Lake (donations benefit Love INC); and cellist Steven VanRavenswaay plays a free concert by the fireplace at Spring Lake District Library, 132 E. Exchange St., 3-4 p.m. Sunday.
Did I miss something? Log in and tell us all about it in the comment section below.