Addressing mental health

Krystle Wagner • Jul 21, 2015 at 11:58 AM

Dr. Michael Brashears, executive director of Community Mental Health of Ottawa County, said they serve more than 200 individuals with severe mental illnesses. But there are many more who go without treatment, he said.

Although Brashears said there are many mental illnesses, 10 or 11 are prominent locally — including major depression, schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.

“We have folks in our county that can’t get mental health treatment because they’re not eligible for Medicaid,” he said. “It’s very difficult to get treatment because funding isn’t there.”

Brashears said 90 percent of mental health funding in the community comes from the state Medicaid program, leaving 10 percent of the local budget to fund treatment of people without insurance.

When people go without treatment, Brashears said it becomes increasingly difficult to attend to basic needs or functions, such as sleeping and holding down a job. Some people may have altering thoughts — hear, see or feel things that aren’t real — or have extreme beliefs and thoughts about the world.

The cost, lack of access to services and the inability to admit they have a problem are some of the reasons people with mental health issues might not seek treatment, Brashears said.

Sarah Lewakowski, executive director of Tri-Cities Ministries in Grand Haven, expressed the importance of reaching out and not becoming isolated from the community. She’s had many clients tell her they've been considering asking for help for a year or longer.

“It is hard to make that decision,” Lewakowski said.

Some of the ways Community Mental Health in Ottawa County helps people is by providing therapy, prescribing medications, employment assistance, and helping them remain active and part of the community.

Brashears encourages people to make the attempt in getting the help they need.

“You have nothing to lose when you’re trying to improve your life,” he said.


For information about mental health services, call Community Mental Health of Ottawa County Customer Services at 616-494-5545, or e-mail cmhcustomerservices@miottawa.org.

The county mental health agency's Help Line is available 24/7 at 866-512-4357.

Recommended for You

    Grand Haven Tribune Videos