Fire damages home the morning after Christmas

Becky Vargo • Jul 21, 2015 at 12:00 PM

Damage was estimated at close to $30,000 in a fire that damaged a home in the early morning hours on Dec. 26.

Firefighters were called at 1:13 a.m. on Wednesday to 12079 120th Ave., where they found fire in the garage and the attic above the kitchen and dining areas of the home, according to Robinson Township Fire Chief Paul VanVelzen.

The homeowner, Kenneth Mayse, was awakened by a smoke detector, VanVelzen said. Mayse was home alone at the time and was able to safely evacuate.

The homeowner lost between $5,000-8,000 worth of contents. The structure suffered about $20,000-25,000 in damage.

VanVelzen said the fire over the kitchen and dining area caused another electrical problem which started a second fire in the garage.

Robinson Township was assisted by Grand Haven and Georgetown Township fire departments and North Ottawa Community Hospital ambulance.

The American Red Cross responded to the scene to help the resident.

Recommended for You

    Grand Haven Tribune Videos