10 things to know about today
Jul 21, 2015 at 12:04 PM
1. U.S. GROUNDS BOEING'S DREAMLINER
The 787s cannot fly again until the risk of battery fires is addressed, the FAA decrees.
2. STAR LINEBACKER VICTIM OF A HOAX, NOTRE DAME SAYS
Manti Te'o apparently was duped into believing that a girlfriend had died of leukemia.
3. OBAMA'S GUN PROPOSALS SET UP A TOUGH FIGHT
His plan faces a doubtful future in a divided Congress where Republicans control the House.
4. WHERE AL-QAIDA FINDS ITSELF IN A STANDOFF
Militants kill two and take dozens of hostages at a natural gas complex in Algeria. Then they're surrounded by the Algerian army.
5. ARMSTRONG WELCOMES JUDGMENT DAY
He tells the AP that he wants people to watch his interview with Oprah on Thursday, then decide for themselves how candid he was.
6. WHY MORSI WANTS TO DEFUSE A ROW OVER ANTI-SEMITIC REMARKS
The Islamist president needs America's help in repairing Egypt's rapidly sliding economy.
7. KEY AREAS OF PAKISTANI CAPITAL PARALYZED
Anti-government protests by thousands of supporters of a fiery Muslim cleric are roiling Islamabad.
8. HOW THE PAY OF AMERICA'S BEST-KNOWN BANKER IS SHRINKING
JPMorgan's Dimon will see his salary fall by more than half to $11.5 million — fallout from an embarrassing trading loss last year.
9. THE BOUNCE HOUSE MOVES FROM THE BACKYARD TO OUTER SPACE
NASA, private company hope to increase astronauts' comfort with inflatable habitats that can be deployed on the cheap.
10. 'ZERO DARK THIRTY' FACING OSCAR'S COLD SHOULDER
Uproar over the portrayal of waterboarding may handicap the film at awards time.