10 things to know today
Jul 21, 2015 at 12:10 PM
1. UNLIKELY ALLIES ZERO IN ON IMMIGRATION
Business, union leaders are hoping to create a guest-worker program to ensure future immigrants come to the U.S. legally.
2. WHO'S LEADING AN ATTACK ON DRONES
Democrats in Congress want to limit Obama's use of the unmanned spacecraft to kill suspected terrorists.
3. MORSI ROLLS OUT WELCOME MAT FOR AHMADINEJAD
A visit to Egypt by an Iranian leader would have been unthinkable under Mubarak, who shared Washington's deep suspicion of Tehran.
4. SIX SPANISH TOURISTS RAPED IN MEXICAN RESORT
For years, Acapulco has been battered by drug gang killings — but violence has rarely touched visitors.
5. WHAT WAS IN AN UNDERGROUND BUNKER IN ALABAMA
The FBI found two bombs, one inside and one in a pipe used to communicate, on the property where a 5-year-old had been held hostage.
6. WHY TURNAROUND TRY IS PERSONAL FOR DELL FOUNDER
A $24.4B stock buyout could give Michael Dell — the Zuckerberg of his day — a chance to prove himself again.
7. OBAMA TO MAKE FIRST VISIT TO ISRAEL AS PRESIDENT
The trip also includes Jordan and the West Bank as the U.S. seeks to invigorate peace talks.
8. HOW THE CAT INTERNET INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX IS GROWING
Furry online stars are making their meows heard offline, with book deals, film festivals and corporate sponsors.
9. BEST BET FOR THE GRAMMYS
AP Music Writers Mesfin Fekadu and Chris Talbott predict Frank Ocean will win Best New Artist on Sunday.
10. A PAINFUL END TO LINDSEY VONN'S SEASON
She tears two ligaments in her knee and breaks her lower leg on a hard landing.