10 things to know today
Jul 21, 2015 at 12:35 PM
1. BENIGN PORTRAIT EMERGES OF CLEVELAND SUSPECT
The man who owned the home where three missing women were found alive played bass guitar in salsa and merengue bands and gave children rides on his motorcycle.
2. THE BULL THAT ROARED
The Dow closed above 15,000 for the first time, and has climbed almost 15 percent since Jan. 1.
3. WHAT SYRIA'S TEPID RESPONSE TO ISRAEL MEANS
Tied down by civil war, Syria has limited options in response to Israeli airstrikes, which are raising fears of an all-out war.
4. SANFORD SEEKS REDEMPTION, FINDS A WIN
He'll return to Congress representing South Carolina four years after scandal sidelined his term as governor.
5. TOLL IN MEXICO TANKER BLAST MAY RISE
A pre-dawn explosion exposes recurrent public safety issues: heavy trucks that often have serious accidents, and improvised homes just feet away from highways.
6. FRESH FUEL FOR GUN CONTROL DEBATE
Gun-related homicides in the U.S. have dropped nearly 40 percent in the past two decades, the government reports.
7. A RACE TO RECOVER 6 MILLION NAMES
Israel's Yad Vashem museum is canvassing elderly survivors, hoping to document the names of everyone who died in the Holocaust.
8. CHRIS CHRISTIE AIMS TO GET IN FIGHTING SHAPE
The potential Republican presidential candidate reveals that he's undergone weight-loss surgery.
9. DISTRACTED DRIVING A DEADLIER PROBLEM THAN THOUGHT
Crash deaths in cases where drivers were on the phone are seriously underreported, according to the National Safety Council.
10. WHY HIP-HOP MAY NEED A CHECKUP
It's no longer gun violence that's killing hip-hop stars. In recent years a series of notable rappers has died of drug- and health-related causes.