10 things to know today
Jul 21, 2015 at 2:57 PM
1. DETAILS OF ROBIN WILLIAMS' DEATH EMERGE
The 63-year-old actor hanged himself with a belt and was found dead in a bedroom at his home by his personal assistant, authorities say.
2. WHO'S AIDING TRAPPED IRAQIS
For the past few days, Syrian Kurdish fighters have been rescuing members of Iraq's Yazidi minority, tens of thousands of whom fled Islamic militants and took refuge on a mountaintop.
3. SALE OF CLIPPERS GOES THROUGH
A court affirms the right of Donald Sterling's estranged wife to sell the NBA team to ex-Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer for a record $2 billion.
4. LAUREN BACALL DIES AT 89
The actress created on-screen magic with Humphrey Bogart in "To Have and Have Not" and "The Big Sleep" — and off-screen magic in one of Hollywood's most storied marriages.
5. HOW EBOLA, EVEN WHEN CURED, CAN BE A CURSE
Kadiatou Fanta, a 26-year-old Guinea medical student who survived the disease, finds herself shunned by her family and professors, who fear being contaminated.
6. OBAMA URGES CALM AFTER TWO NIGHTS OF VIOLENT PROTESTS IN MISSOURI
He says people must comfort each other "in a way that heals, not in a way that wounds" in the wake of unarmed teen's death in suburban St. Louis.
7. UKRAINE SETS CONDITIONS FOR RUSSIAN AID
Kiev insists that more than 260 trucks purportedly carrying humanitarian assistance from Moscow should be first inspected by the Red Cross.
8. DOZENS OF MOSQUES DESTROYED DURING GAZA WAR
The targeting of places of worship — where Israel says weapons often are stockpiled — is viewed by the Palestinians as an attack on integral parts of the social fabric.
9. LAKE MEAD DROPS TO HISTORIC LOWS
The receding shoreline is causing concern about drought in a region that's home to 40 million people and 4 million acres of farmland.
10. WHAT'S LATEST SIGN OF OVERSATURATION IN EAST COAST GAMBLING MARKET
The $2.4 billion Revel resort fails to find a buyer — even for pennies on the dollar — and will shut down in September.