Fruitport to induct first athletic Hall of Fame class on Saturday
Jul 21, 2015 at 12:19 PM
The inaugural class of the Fruitport Athletics Hall of Fame will be inducted during a banquet on Saturday at Oakridge Golf Club.
The class includes a pair of teams, a pair of staff/community members, and six athletes.
The teams being honored are the 1937-38 boys basketball team, which claimed a district championship; and the 2005 volleyball squad, which won the school’s first-ever team state championship.
Members of the 1937-38 baseball team were coach Joe Mulready, Harold Hansen, Norm Tobaison, Bob Clevenstine, manager Pete Witteveen, Walt Shermeta, Bernie Janes, Bob Bush, Gene Witteveen, Gordon Eggleton, Vern Jones and Joe Vig.
Members of the 2005 volleyball team are coach Dan Potts, Angela Munson, Natalie Knuth, Jaime Allen, Lindsay Bayle, Katelyn Kommer, Danielle McGrady, Ashley Doremire, Jaclyn Geile, Autumn Williams, Christian Scraver, Dawn Hayes, Kristen Follett, Danielle Brink, Rachel Feutz and Lauren Feutz.
Staff and community members being recognized are Dr. Robert Pierce, the team physician from 1969-2011; and Dan Brink, who coached the Trojans’ wrestling program from 1987-97.
Brink led the Trojans to a 110-89-1 mark in his 10 years, and 10 of his athletes won state medals, including three state champions.
Pierce spet 44 years as the Trojans’ team doctor.
Athletes who will be inducted into the Hall of Fame are:
• Matt Brink, wrestling and football, 1996 — earned all-state honors in both sports, three-time state champion wrestler with career record of 167-2; four-time all-Big Ten selection in wrestling at the University of Michigan
• Tom Chorny, cross country and track, 1995 — four-time state champion in track and cross-country, was a three-time All American at Indiana University.
• Mark Langlois, track and football, 2002 — School record holder and state champion in pole vault and member of state runner-up football team
• Karla Link Galvin, track, 1981 — State champion in high jump, competed in Junior Olympics and was a four-year member of Western Michigan University track team
• Jack Spencer, baseball, football, basketball, track and field, 1965 — Went on to start at quarterback for Ferris State University before becoming a successful high school baseball coach in Florida.
• Mike Teeter, football and track, 1986 — A dominating force on the football field at Fruitport, he went on to earn accolades while playing under Bo Schembechler at the University of Michigan.
The induction ceremony will take place at 6 p.m. at Oakridge Golf Course.
An open house celebration will also be held tonight at the high school at 6:30 p.m.