Soccer roundup: SL, Fruitport to meet in league title game

Tribune Staff • Jul 21, 2015 at 12:37 PM

Spring Lake and Fruitport will meet in the Lakes Eight Conference soccer championship game after both teams scored victories in the semifinal round on Monday.

Top-seeded Spring Lake mercied Orchard View, 8-0, while second-seeded Fruitport edged Ludington, 1-0.

The Lakers and the Trojans will meet for the league tournament title on Monday at Spring Lake.

The Lakers, who have won at least a share of every Lakes Eight title since 2007, got off to a fast start against Orchard View and never looked back.

“The last time we played them, the big thing was, we jumped on them early and scored in the first 90 seconds,” coach Jeremy Thelen said. “So we keyed on that again last night and this time we scored two goals in the first 90 seconds.”

The goals were almost identical in nature. Both times, Leeann Latsch took the ball toward the end line, then sent a pass back into the middle, where Megan Harken was waiting.

“Both of them hit the back post and came back out,” Thelen said.

Harken finished with a hat trick, while Latsch had a goal and four assists.

Molly Miedema, Abby Dockery, Saberyn Peel and Mya Denslow also scored for Spring Lake.

The Lakers, now 12-1 on the year and 7-0 in league games, are off until Friday’s make-up game against West Ottawa.

Fruitport earned another shot at Spring Lake thanks to its 1-0 win over Ludington.

The host Trojans held a 10-3 advantage in shots on goal, and scored the lone goal off the foot of Hannah Samlow, assisted by Haylie Hanks.

Jordyn Stanberry lead an outstanding defensive effort, assisted by Autumn Winger, Sydney Nelson and Alyssa Benedict.

Carly Kryfka, Jessica Erny, Lauren Maus and Marissa Hassevoort also played well for Fruitport.


Mona Shores scored in the opening minute at Warrior Field Monday night and eventually pulled away for a 4-1 win over Western Michigan Christian.

Morgan Smith found the upper left corner of the goal for the Sailors to open the game, but the Warrior’s Brea Frein tied it off an assist from Alexys Riksen three minutes later.

Maraci Northuis gave the Sailors a halftime lead of 2-1 on a penalty kick.

The game remained 2-1 until Holly Fredericksen scored the first of her two goals in the last 13 minutes of the game.

The Sailors outshot the Warriors 21-8 and Lindsey Johnson had 17 saves for WMC (8-4-2).

“They were well organized on each side of the ball and had us on our heels most of the game,” WMC coach David Hulings said. “I was really pleased with our effort, however. Since they mercied us last year, it was good to stick with them 2-1 for most of the game.  It was too bad we had the PK at the end of the first half.  It would have been nice to come off the field at half tied.  But they deserved the PK with the work she did getting into the box.”   

 The Warriors play Freedom Christian today.

Recommended for You