LUDINGTON (AP) — One of Michigan's most popular state parks could expand if state lawmakers adopt the recommendation of the Natural Resources Trust Fund.
The fund's governing board is recommending that the state spend $12.5 million to acquire 337 acres of private land adjacent to Ludington State Park.
The Department of Natural Resources says the land has critical dunes and other features that would complement the state park in Mason County. The park is on Lake Michigan and offers swimming, camping and boating.
The trust fund was created in 1976 for recreational projects The money comes from oil-and-gas royalties and development leases.
Man fatally shot by officers in southwestern Michigan
PAVILION TWP. (AP) — Authorities in southwestern Michigan have identified a man fatally shot by officers after pointing a gun at them.
The Kalamazoo County Sheriff's Office said Thursday that 48-year-old David Teneyuqu died in the confrontation at the Pavilion Estates mobile home park in Pavilion Township. Deputies went to the community around midday Wednesday after the manager reported a man and woman wouldn't leave, police said.
Undersheriff James Van Dyken said Teneyuqu fired a gun into the air, and deputies took cover. VanDyken said officers tried to talk Teneyuqu into surrendering, but he was shot at by four or five officers after pointing a gun at them.
The woman with Teneyuqu, 35-year-old Chrystal Courtney, was arrested on outstanding warrants.
Michigan State Police are investigating. Several officers have been placed on leave.
Michigan sues company over Great Lakes power cable damage
LANSING (AP) — Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette has sued the company he says damaged electric cables and oil pipelines in a Great Lakes channel by dragging a tugboat anchor across them.
The lawsuit was filed Thursday in Ingham County Circuit Court against VanEnkevort Tug & Barge Inc. of Escanaba.
Two cables were damaged April 1 and released about 600 gallons of mineral oil insulation fluid into the Straits of Mackinac, which connects Lake Huron and Lake Michigan. Twin oil pipelines operated by Enbridge Inc. were dented.
The suit seeks a civil fine and reimbursement of the state's costs, plus steps to prevent a similar event in the future.
VanEnkevort declined comment beyond an earlier statement acknowledging one of its vessels had been in the area on the day of the incident.
Bank robbery charges dismissed, but 70-year-old man held
TRAVERSE CITY (AP) — A 70-year-old man is expected to remain behind bars despite a decision by a federal judge to dismiss charges that he robbed three northern Michigan banks.
The Traverse City Record-Eagle reported a judge in Traverse City set a $100,000 bond Thursday on an unrelated possession of a stun gun charge. William Minore told the court the high bond is "ridiculous."
The robberies occurred in 2015 and 2016 in Empire and Lake Ann, small towns west of Traverse City.
Authorities said Minore distracted police with phony reports of crimes, including a school shooting. The charges in that case were dismissed Wednesday in Grand Rapids.
Minore denies the allegations and says someone set him up.
Leelanau County prosecutors, who initially pursued a bank robbery case against Minore, could take it up again.
Michigan Senate votes to make Medicaid recipients find work
LANSING (AP) — Able-bodied Medicaid recipients in Michigan may soon have to choose between finding a job or losing health insurance.
The ultimatum comes in the form of a bill the GOP-controlled Senate approved Thursday in a 26-11 vote. After their amendments were shot down, Democrats took the floor to blast the bill for what they said was punishing the poor.
Now headed to the House, the legislation would strip the public benefit from able-bodied adults unable to find an average of 29 hours of work per week by Oct. 1, 2019.
Exemptions include pregnant woman, people receiving unemployment or disability benefits, caretakers for children under age 6, and full-time students.
In January, the Trump administration gave states the green light to hold Medicaid recipients to a work requirement.
It's (another) boy! Michigan family with 13 sons gets No. 14
ROCKFORD (AP) — There will be no shortage of hand-me-downs for this Michigan kid.
Kateri and Jay Schwandt of Rockford welcomed the birth of their 14th son on Wednesday, five days before he was due, the Grand Rapids Press reported. They have no daughters.
WOOD-TV reported that the boy weighs 8 pounds, 4 ounces. His name wasn't immediately announced.
As with their last few children, the couple didn't want to know the baby's sex ahead of time. Jay Schwandt said earlier this year that he would have loved to have a girl, but didn't think that would be in the cards. He was right.
Kateri Schwandt has said she's used to large families, as one of 14 children herself.
The couple's oldest son is in his 20s.
Michigan mother leaves 2 infant girls in suitcase on curb
FLINT (AP) — A 26-year-old Michigan woman left her two infant daughters inside a suitcase on the side of the road as child welfare workers arrived to take the children away, police said.
Police officers assisting Child Protective Services workers Wednesday were unable to find the children inside the Flint home. Authorities have not said why the children were being removed.
WNEM-TV reported that officers looked outside the home and found the girls in the luggage. They are listed in good condition at a hospital. Police did not provide their names or ages.
Police said the mother apparently ran away, but was arrested and is being evaluated at a hospital. Police said she has a history of mental illness.
WSMH-TV reported that other children were found inside the home.