Worker sparks large fire at closed Grand Rapids factory

Authorities said a worker using a blow torch touched off an explosion and fire that badly damaged a shuttered furniture factory building in Grand Rapids. The fire that broke out midday Monday at the Kindel Furniture building sent large plumes of thick black smoke up through the roof of the three-story brick building that was built in 1912. Grand Rapids Battalion Chief Bart Perry said lacquer in a pipe caught fire. He said everyone inside the building was accounted for and that no injuries were reported.
AP Wire
May 10, 2011

 

Kindel merged last year with The Taylor Co., a Wyoming-based furniture manufacturer. Company spokeswoman Amy Wolbert said there hasn’t been production at the plant since January and that crews might have been in the building preparing it for sale.

 

Post a Comment

Log in to your account to post comments here and on other stories, galleries and polls. Share your thoughts and reply to comments posted by others. Don't have an account on GrandHavenTribune.com? Create a new account today to get started.