Despite a pending lawsuit, filed against the Haunted Hall three months ago, former troop member Michael Brower said the decision not to host the event this year was based more on the economy thwarting location possibilities. He said the owners of vacant buildings have been reluctant to let them use the building.
“With building sales on the rise, a lot of people were concerned (hosting the Haunted Hall) could stall a sale,” Brower said.
“We contacted dozens — if not more than 100 — building owners,” he said.
Some of the buildings that were available did not meet size needs or building code regulations — such as a fire suppression system.
“We’ve been looking for months,” Brower said. “We held out as long as we could. We even looked at three buildings last week.”
Brower said landing a site this late in the game would have put them way behind their typical schedule. But that won’t stop them from working on a bigger and better Haunted Hall in 2013, he said.
Brower is a board member of Western Youth Leadership Development, the organization that actually operates the Haunted Hall. It is designed to raise funds for the local Boy Scouts and for whatever nonprofit group they partner with for the year, he said.
The Boy Scouts and their families help build and staff the Haunted Hall.
To read more of this story, see Saturday’s print or e-edition of the Grand Haven Tribune.