Fire damages home the morning after Christmas

An electrical problem in the attic above the kitchen was the cause of a house fire the day after Christmas in Robinson Township.
Becky Vargo
Dec 31, 2012

 

Damage was estimated at close to $30,000 in a fire that damaged a home in the early morning hours on Dec. 26.

Firefighters were called at 1:13 a.m. on Wednesday to 12079 120th Ave., where they found fire in the garage and the attic above the kitchen and dining areas of the home, according to Robinson Township Fire Chief Paul VanVelzen.

The homeowner, Kenneth Mayse, was awakened by a smoke detector, VanVelzen said. Mayse was home alone at the time and was able to safely evacuate.

The homeowner lost between $5,000-8,000 worth of contents. The structure suffered about $20,000-25,000 in damage.

VanVelzen said the fire over the kitchen and dining area caused another electrical problem which started a second fire in the garage.

Robinson Township was assisted by Grand Haven and Georgetown Township fire departments and North Ottawa Community Hospital ambulance.

The American Red Cross responded to the scene to help the resident.

Comments

Walking Alive

5 day old 'news'. Seems like someone could have walked from Robinson Twp to tell Ms Vargo, and the Tribune would have been able to print this story online sooner.

So glad to hear Mr Mayse got out OK and his smoke alarm worked.

*Please take time to check/change the batteries in ALL your smoke detectors this week, and have a safe, happy and prosperous New Year!

Post a Comment

Log in to your account to post comments here and on other stories, galleries and polls. Share your thoughts and reply to comments posted by others. Don't have an account on GrandHavenTribune.com? Create a new account today to get started.