1. NOMINEE FOR DEFENSE A POSSIBLE TRAILBLAZER
If confirmed, Chuck Hagel would the first enlisted soldier and first Vietnam vet to head the Pentagon.
2. CARNAGE IN COLO. MOVIE HOUSE RECALLED DURING HEARING
"After I saw what I saw in the theater — horrific — I didn't want anyone else to die," says one officer who ferried the wounded to a hospital.
3. CHURCH SEES RISK IN VENEZUELA
Uncertainty over Chavez's health makes for a potentially dangerous and violent situation, Catholic leaders warn.
4. A RAY OF HOPE IN HEALTH CARE
Americans kept their medical spending in check for three years in a row.
5. WHAT JIMMY KIMMEL WON'T CHANGE IN NEW TIME SLOT
He disagrees with the notion that moving to 11:35 p.m. ET, starting Tuesday, means his show must be "more wholesome."
6. MAKING SURE KIDS WITH SMART PHONES DON'T DO ANYTHING DUMB
A mommy blogger posts the code of conduct she and her 13-year-old son agreed to before she gave him an iPhone for Christmas.
7. WHERE 17 BILLION EARTH-SIZE PLANETS RESIDE
A new estimate for the Milky Way means there are more than two such planets for every person on Earth.
8. ARE WE THERE YET?
Simulations of a 17-month journey to Mars made would-be spacemen drowsy — acting like bears on the verge of hibernation.
9. COMMUNIST REGIME NOT FEELING REGGAETON
The Cuban government is cracking down on the racy musical genre that has young people bumping and grinding on the dance floor.
10. WHOSE DAMAGED KNEE COULD SET HIM BACK WELL INTO NEXT SEASON
Redskins QB Robert Griffin III may have reinjured his ACL in Sunday's playoff loss.