DNR: 2012 hunting season was safest in five years

State officials said Michigan's 2012 hunting season was the safest in the past five years.
AP Wire
Jan 27, 2013

 

Fifteen safety incidents were reported, including one death in September when a coyote hunter shot another hunter in St. Clair County. The Department of Natural Resources said there were three fewer incidents in 2011, but five were fatal.

DNR law enforcement chief Gary Hagler said the keys to avoiding such mishaps include wearing orange clothing, being certain of the target and handling firearms safely.

Three of last year's incidents involved shooters who were minors. The youngest was a 6-year-old boy who was unloading his gun when it discharged, hitting his father in the leg.

The number of incidents has dropped sharply since 2007, when there were 32. Hegler credits Michigan's hunter education program for the improvement.

Comments

sirhansalot

awesome now we can start hunting in Duncan woods and north shore rec area.

Wingmaster

I know I'll regret even engaging the dialogue here, but what does this failed attempt at humor supposed to imply?

Post a Comment

Log in to your account to post comments here and on other stories, galleries and polls. Share your thoughts and reply to comments posted by others. Don't have an account on GrandHavenTribune.com? Create a new account today to get started.