Mom sues Monster over teen's death

The mother of a teenager who died from cardiac arrhythmia last year is blaming his death on Monster Beverage, alleging in a lawsuit filed Tuesday that his death was caused by habitually drinking the company's energy drink.
AP Wire
Jun 26, 2013

 

Alex Morris, 19, went into cardiac arrest during the early morning hours of July 1 and was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The lawsuit filed in Alameda County Superior Court alleges Morris would not have died if he did not drink two cans of Monster's energy drink every day for the three years before his death, including the day he died.

Morris' mother, Paula Morris, is listed as a plaintiff in the case.

The lawsuit comes after the family of 14-year-old Anais Fournier of Maryland also sued the company last year after she consumed two 24-ounce cans of Monster and died.

"Our allegations in the lawsuits are the same and that's (that the people's) deaths were caused by these energy drinks and more specifically the defendants failure to warn about the dangers," said Alexander Wheeler, an attorney representing the plaintiffs in both cases.

Monster representatives did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment.

The company said previously in Fournier's case that no blood test was performed to confirm that the girl died of "caffeine toxicity" as the lawsuit claimed, saying she died of natural causes brought on by pre-existing conditions.

Monster and other energy drinks have faced increased scrutiny in recent months. The Food and Drug Administration is investigating reports of deaths linked to energy drinks, including five that cite Monster beverages, but the agency noted that the reports don't prove the drinks caused the deaths.

San Francisco city attorney Dennis Herrera is also suing Monster Beverage for marketing its energy drinks to children, saying the products pose severe health risks.

 

Comments

truthhurts

insane...they should throw the parents in jail for lack of parental control of their kid. Any parent that lets their kid drink 2 of these per day is a moron and should not be allowed to have kids. Do you let your kid eat candy for 2 of 3 meals a day? DARWIN/parents killed the kid, not the drink

rukidding

First off the "kid" as we are referring to this young man was 19 years old. Secondly, how does anyone know that he drank 2 Monster cans every day for the 3 years preceding his death? Of course there is a third, he probably had a defective heart, and many do and don't know it. Lastly, they will never be able to prove that the drink caused the demise of this young man. This is a money hungry lawyer and mother and nothing more.
Stupidity and greed have nothing to do with our country, other than politicians of course.

Wingmaster

Nobody is accountable for their actions anymore...come on truth, get with the program!

zwesterhouse

Well this is one of the negatives of being in a free country. People have the freedom to be stupid and eat themselves to the casket. Drink themselves to an early grave. 2 to 3 people drown or die every year on our piers on Lake Michigan. Even 4.0 GVSU students who are Black Belts can choose to go out on the pier at 11:30 at night during a November gale and get washed off. This is America also home of some stupid people.

truthhurts

good point and I agree, people should be allowed to be stupid it keeps our population under control (like seatbelt and helmet laws). There should be an idiot court, kinda like the supreme court, but for idiots

ghresident

Post would be a good Judge, just sayin'

 

Post a Comment

Log in to your account to post comments here and on other stories, galleries and polls. Share your thoughts and reply to comments posted by others. Don't have an account on GrandHavenTribune.com? Create a new account today to get started.