The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm warning for Ottawa, Muskegon, Kent, Mason, Lake, Oceana, Newaygo, Allegan, Barry, Van Buren and Kalamazoo counties through 7 a.m. Saturday.
* We'll see wind chills of 20 below to 30 below today.
* Strong winds will develop and continue through tonight. Gusts over 40 mph are expected.
* Snow will fall in the afternoon evening. Greater than 8 inches of snow will be possible near the Lakeshore. Up to 4 inches of snow will be possible elsewhere. Heavier snow is expected in areas where the snow bands set up.
* Blowing snow will occur through tonight.
* Time to incur frostbite from exposure may be less than 30 minutes.
* Dangerous travel will occur today. Whiteout conditions with little to no visibility are expected. The worst conditions will be after sunset this evening.
* Blowing snow will cover treated roads, especially north-to-south roads in open areas.
* Roads will remain snow-covered and slippery across the area.
* The Michigan Department of Transportation reminds motorists to adjust speeds based on the conditions, and to take it slow in ice and snow.
The forecast for the Grand Haven area:
Today: A slight chance of snow showers before 8 a.m., then areas of blowing snow and a chance of snow showers between 8 a.m. and 2 p.m., then snow showers with areas of blowing snow after 2 p.m. High near 24. Wind chill values as low as minus 13. Windy, with a southwest wind 16 to 21 mph increasing to 27 to 32 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 44 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90 percent. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.
Tonight: Snow showers with areas of blowing snow. Temperature rising to around 25 by 2 a.m. Breezy, with a southwest wind 21 to 26 mph decreasing to 14 to 19 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 38 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100 percent. New snow accumulation of around 4 inches.
• Saturday: Snow showers with areas of blowing snow. High near 23. Wind chill values as low as minus 10. Northwest wind 13 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90 percent. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.