Water, sewer use up

Grand Haven Township officials are noticing some positive trends as it relates to water and sewer.
Alex Doty
Jan 24, 2014

“We’re growing. It’s a slow growth due to the great recession,” Township Manager Bill Cargo said. “It slowed down in 2006, but it has really started to pick up.”

More specifically, township figures show that there were 76 new connections to the municipal water system last year. According to township data, since 1990, annual water usage has increased by nearly 409 million gallons — an average increase of about 18 million gallons per year.

Water connections in the township have increased 3,242 since 1990 — an average of about 141 new taps each year. Cargo noted that the rate of growth began to slow in 2006.

Cargo also noted that while the township still has few sewer connections compared to overall development, a trend has begun toward more — 24 new connections to the wastewater system last year.

“The Master Plan has sewer in the ground or in the ground for most areas planned for residential development and growth,” he said.

About 17 percent of the water system distributed to Grand Haven Township residents is collected by the municipal sewer system. The remaining 83 percent is treated by on-site septic systems.

Cargo noted that septic systems, along with other nitrates like fertilizers, can have a negative impact on local waterways.

“I think most studies have shown there’s less nitrogen going into the groundwater if you have municipal sewer as opposed to septic,” he said. “It does have an impact on our bayous and our other bodies of water.”

To read more of this story, see today’s print or e-edition of the Grand Haven Tribune.

Comments

bigdeal

GHT are thieves. They have added $25 to every bill I have had for the past 30 years! They have added it to yours also if you get a bill from them. First it was called 'ready to serve' on the bill, supposed to be for extending sewer where needed. But did they do that when they redid Mercury Drive? H no. All those houses on the Grand River have septic tanks, because the stinking twp did not want to spend THAT money we have paid for the service to be installed. The township sucks for that very reason Cargo. How about an answer from YOU for all to read?

Barry Soetoro

Cargo's too busy worrying about whether or not your trash can is visible from the road.

Real estate maven

Can't hear you Cargo? Speak up......

forreal

hey bigdeal, $25.00 is nothing compared to my bill!!! I get charged $36.00 for a WR(water customer service charge), so basically I only use $11.00 of water and then the $36.00 is for them to keep! which is really outrageous because I have the water meter in my basement that is all automatic for them to get information from, they don't even have to come out and read it!!! I totally agree with you, thieves...

bigdeal

yes, that is what they refer to it as now.

Can the Tribune staff get Cargo to answer what that outrageous fee goes towards, along with any questions from comments above?

OneofMany

Starting in September I started getting a $36 Customer Service charge on top of my $10 water use. Is everyone getting this now, or am I the only one being screwed?

Post a Comment

Log in to your account to post comments here and on other stories, galleries and polls. Share your thoughts and reply to comments posted by others. Don't have an account on GrandHavenTribune.com? Create a new account today to get started.