Voter turnout low

While there may have been a slew of proposals on Tuesday’s ballots, voter turnout was anything but extraordinary.
Alex Doty
Aug 6, 2014

Voter turnout averaged about 12 percent at Northwest Ottawa County precincts — running about the same as it was for this past May’s school board elections.

“It just seems like, overall, the turnout is very low,” Ottawa County Elections Coordinator Steve Daitch said. “(But) we kind of expected turnout to be low.”

The reason for the thin lines at the polls, he said, was due to a lack of major contested primary races, such as governor and other lawmakers.

“We definitely expect higher turnout for (the November election),” Daitch said.

In Northwest Ottawa County, the highest percentage turnout was in Ferrysburg, where 19 percent of voters cast ballots on Tuesday. There, voters were deciding on a senior citizen millage.

The lowest turnout in the region was Robinson Township, where 9 percent of voters showed up to cast ballots for a fire department millage.

Grand Haven Township Clerk Sue Buitenhuis said turnout was light in Grand Haven Township, where only about 12 percent of voters showed up to the polls. But more than 900 absentee ballots were cast in the township.

Despite the low turnout, Buitenhuis said she also expects a different scenario in November.

Read the complete story in today’s print or e-edition of the Grand Haven Tribune.

Comments

happycamper

I don't understand, the people are feed up with a lot of issues, i saw many people complaining about the school proposals here in Spring Lake and Grand Haven and voiced their opinions on the tribune post,s, but it comes to voting, no one show,s, they either have lack of confident their vote will not count or just maybe they just to busy to make time to make a difference, i am confused,

zwesterhouse

I notice the same things - lots of people complaining. People in trailer parks complaining also - but when 1 of their very own ran for state rep in 2010 - No one showed. They didn't even vote absentee. They just flap their beaks like a bunch of ducks. It don't matter. The rich have their own if office because they are the only ones who vote. People in factories don't vote either - one their own also ran for state rep in 2010. Both got smoked in the election. So don't be confused - those people are just blabber mouths, they aint nothing but complainers and they get what they deserve. So just let em flap their beaks and their gooses will be cooked because they don't even bother to show up to vote even for one of their own.

trekking

Could it be that our primary system is not very good. Should be able to vote for whom you want, not party line. In many cases no oppostion, so why vote, except for the proposals.

gordbzz231

Voter turnout averaged about 12 percent at Northwest Ottawa County precincts, hmm, i wonder what the other 88 percent where doing that day, ?

tartarus12

I voted at the GHTWP precinct #6 at 4:30 yesterday. I was voter #90. Pretty pathetic.

In a totally unrelated topic, can anyone who voted yes on prop 1 explain how it is going to work?

W.MI.MAN

At 4:30 tartarus12 was #90 at the grand haven township hall,
It's odd that at 3:45 I was #83.

So in 45 minutes there were 7 voters.
But by 8:00 there were 975 votes to approve a milage for the fire dept. & 911 votes against it.
Does anyone else see a problem with the math here?
I know there is more than one precinct, but 1886 votes,
In the short time that was left, only 4 hours.

I was at work where I could see two of the precincts to vote at, and with the little amount of traffic going in and out I find it VERY hard to believe there were eighteen hundred voters to approve this milage...

I understand I could be wrong. But how does one go about asking for a recount?
Since it was such a close vote 51 to 49 percent.

This needs to be looked into...

Tri-cities realist

Don't forget about absentee ballots

Post a Comment

Log in to your account to post comments here and on other stories, galleries and polls. Share your thoughts and reply to comments posted by others. Don't have an account on GrandHavenTribune.com? Create a new account today to get started.