The annual Beach Survival Challenge and Sand Sculpture Contest are both scheduled for Saturday morning.
(1) Beach Survival Challenge — 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at the Grand Haven State Park beach. Registration to participate is closed, but you should head to the beach and watch the teams of kids complete in sand soccer, ultimate Frisbee, tug-o-war and the obstacle course. This is the 10th year for the local event that teaches teens to respect the power and dangers of Lake Michigan. For details, visit respectthepower.org.
(2) Sand Sculpture Contest — 9 a.m. to noon Saturday at Grand Haven City Beach. Teams and individuals compete for prizes in this annual Chamber of Commerce-sponsored event. More than your typical sand castles are shaped out of sand and water in two hours. For details, visit grandhavenchamber.mobi/view/page/c/10840.
(3) Worship on the Waterfront — 7:30-8:45 p.m. Sunday at Waterfront Stadium, downtown Grand Haven. The long-running summer series sponsored by the First Reformed Church of Grand Haven kicks off with Jeromy and Jennifer Deibler, also known as FFH. They will share their journey through the good times and challenging times in an evening of song and testimony. Admission is free, but a free-will offering will be taken. For the summer WOW schedule, visit worshiponthewaterfront.org.
(4) Garden Walk — 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. The Tri-Cities Garden Club sponsors this self-guided walking tour of Grand Haven-area gardens. The names of plants are labeled and refreshments are served at one of the gardens. Tickets are $8 (kids ages 12 and younger are free) and available at the Tri-Cities Historical Museum or at each home on the day of the tour. The gardens are at 19 and 21 Sherman Ave., 13793 Lakesedge, 12577 Lakeshore Ave., 11849 and 11835 Chickory Drive, 12293 168th Ave., 13613 Forest Park Drive, and 14515 108th Ave. For details, visit tricitiesgardenclub.org.
(5) Grind Haven Open — 3-8 p.m. Saturday at the Grand Haven Skate Park, 1 Y Drive. This the fifth annual AGA Nation Skateboard/BMX Championships, with the top skateboarders coming from all over the Midwest to compete. For details, visit aganation.com.
Did I miss something? Log in and tell us all about it in the comment section below.