What can I burn in GHT?

Bree of Grand Haven Township asked, "What exactly can I burn in the township? Spring is here, I think, and I want to clean up the yard and get rid of debris."
Mark Brooky
Apr 26, 2013



Township officials say homeowners cannot burn leaves, junk or rubbish. All open burning — except for small, recreational fires no larger than 3 feet in diameter — require a permit from the township's Fire Department. Homeowners are limited to one burn permit per year and only for the disposing of trees, limbs and brush during designated burning periods (January, February, March and September).

Also keep in mind that smoke may not "create a nuisance" to your neighbors.

So, Bree, you may want to buy refuse bags and have your waste hauler take them, or take them to the township's yard waste collection site behind the Department of Public Works building at 13300 168th Ave. It's open for spring through May 6. But keep in mind they don't want you to dump wood, tree limbs or brush there.

Do you have a question for the Tribune? E-mail it to news@grandhaventribune.com, and type MAILBAG in the subject line. Or mail it the old-fashioned way to: Grand Haven Tribune, MAILBAG, 101 N. Third St., Grand Haven, MI 49417. We'll do our best to get you an answer! A new Mailbag appears on grandhaventribune.com at 5 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.



So Bree, looks like you won't be burning anything but a doobie in the back yard.


Actually you can burn a decent amount of sticks and tree limbs in a three foot fire ring. And of course you can break out the hot dogs and marshmellows. Just follow the rules and keep it under control.

Back to the Wall

Does this apply to all homeowners, all land uses, and all zoning districts?


Post a Comment

Log in to your account to post comments here and on other stories, galleries and polls. Share your thoughts and reply to comments posted by others. Don't have an account on GrandHavenTribune.com? Create a new account today to get started.