What's a bascule?

Zoe of Spring Lake asked, "I've heard the bridge over the Grand River called both the drawbridge and the bascule bridge. Is there a difference? And what exactly does bascule mean?"
Mark Brooky
Jun 3, 2013



A bascule bridge is simply a counterpoised, or balanced, drawbridge. It can have either a single leaf or a double leaf that opens for boat traffic below. The Tri-Cities' bridge, of course, is a double leaf.

Bascule is a French term for "see-saw."

The four-lane bridge over the Grand River from Grand Haven to Spring Lake and Ferrysburg was built in the late 1950s.

Do you have a question for the Tribune? E-mail it to news@grandhaventribune.com, and type MAILBAG in the subject line. Or mail it the old-fashioned way to: Grand Haven Tribune, MAILBAG, 101 N. Third St., Grand Haven, MI 49417. We'll do our best to get you an answer! A new Mailbag appears on grandhaventribune.com at 5 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.



Let me Google that for you:


Post a Comment

Log in to your account to post comments here and on other stories, galleries and polls. Share your thoughts and reply to comments posted by others. Don't have an account on GrandHavenTribune.com? Create a new account today to get started.