Overloaded circuit causes attic fire

Fire had burned completely through one truss and charred a 4-foot square area, when firefighters arrived at a Moreland Street home early Saturday afternoon.
Becky Vargo
Jul 13, 2014


“The fire could have been much worse if one of the residents hadn’t noticed smoke coming from the eves,” said Lt. Matt Schweitzer of Grand Haven Township Fire/Rescue.

Firefighters responded to 15410 164th Ave. (Moreland Street) at 12:40 p.m. Saturday.

Based on the concentration of smoke from the ridge vent, firefighters cut ventilation holes on each side of where they believed the fire to be, Schweitzer said.

Investigators said an overloaded power source led to a breakdown of the wiring.

Grand Haven Department of Public Safety, North Ottawa Community Hospital Ambulance and the Ottawa County Sheriff’s Department provided assistance at the scene.

A damage estimate was not available.


Post a Comment

Log in to your account to post comments here and on other stories, galleries and polls. Share your thoughts and reply to comments posted by others. Don't have an account on GrandHavenTribune.com? Create a new account today to get started.