Holland Twp. fatal fire was accidental, police say

Investigators have determined that a fire that broke out in a Holland Township mobile home early Tuesday and killed a toddler was not caused by foul play. Trenton Harlen, 1, died in the fire that destroyed his family's mobile home in the Leisure Estates Mobile Home Park on Butternut Avenue. It reportedly broke out at around 2 a.m.
Tribune Staff
May 26, 2011


The state fire marshal, along with Ottawa County Sheriff’s Department detectives and Holland Township firefighters, investigated the fire. They said Wednesday that the fire likely started in the home’s rear bedroom and was accidental. Smoking materials cannot be ruled out as the cause, but there is no indication that an electrical malfunction started the fire, said Lt. Lee Hoeksema of the Ottawa County Sheriff’s Department.

Due to the extent of the damage, investigators haven’t yet determined if the home had a working smoke detector inside it.

The boy’s cause of death was determined to be smoke inhalation, Hoeksema said.

Trenton’s mother, 28-year-old Amanda Harlen; and sister, Jasmine Vander Hulst, 6, escaped the fire, but also suffered smoke inhalation. Both are currently in stable condition at Grand Rapids hospitals.


Post a Comment

Log in to your account to post comments here and on other stories, galleries and polls. Share your thoughts and reply to comments posted by others. Don't have an account on GrandHavenTribune.com? Create a new account today to get started.