Family of six safe after electrical short started bedroom fire

A family of six is safe after an electrical short started a fire in a bedroom of their Robinson Township home this morning, officials said. Firefighters were called to 12446 N. Cedar Drive at 5:29 a.m. after Martin and Alison Duran, owners of the single-story ranch-style home, were awakened by their smoke alarm, Robinson Township Fire Chief Paul VanVelzen said. The parents were able to get three of their four children out of the house, but initially couldn't find their 3-year-old son.
Jordan Travis
Jun 1, 2011

“(The parents) found him in the living room, hiding under a blanket,” VanVelzen said.

Firefighters had the blaze knocked down roughly 10 minutes after arrival, VanVelzen said.

VanVelzen said the contents of the bedroom were destroyed when an electrical short in a box fan in one of the daughters’ bedrooms started some toys on fire. The fire then spread through the bedroom and was contained there — in part by the room’s drywall.

Damage to the house is estimated at $12,000, VanVelzen said, including damages from heavy smoke. The house is insured and should be repairable, he added.

Martin, Alison and the four children are staying with family nearby, VanVelzen said. They are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

The family’s dog was also unharmed.

“It could have been a lot worse than it was,” VanVelzen said.

Robinson Township firefighters were assisted by the Grand Haven Township Fire-Rescue Department, and an ambulance from North Ottawa Community Hospital was on the scene. Ottawa County Sheriff’s deputies directed traffic.
 

Post a Comment

Log in to your account to post comments here and on other stories, galleries and polls. Share your thoughts and reply to comments posted by others. Don't have an account on GrandHavenTribune.com? Create a new account today to get started.