Homeowner douses fire caused by lightning strike

Two Spring Lake residents safely evacuated their home late Friday morning when a close lightning strike hit a sprinkler system electrical line and started a fire inside their house, Spring Lake Township Fire Chief Rick Nuvill said. Syed Mahmood, 18615 Woodduck Lane, said he was cooking eggs for his daughter at about 11:40 a.m. when there was a big bang and his smoke alarms started sounding. Storms had been rumbling through the area all morning, but this possible lightning strike sounded like it was just outside his house, Mahmood said.
Becky Vargo
Jul 2, 2011

 

“There was a huge, big flash with it,” Mahmood said. “I switched off my cooker and started looking around.”

Mahmood said he could smell smoke, but couldn’t discover the source. He checked on his handicapped daughter, who was in her main floor bedroom, and saw that she was OK. Mahmood opened the door to the basement where he smelled stronger smoke. He walked downstairs and noticed flames in his furnace room.

Mahmood said he grabbed the kitchen wastebasket, dumped out the garbage and filled it three-quarters full with water. He dumped it on the fire, extinguishing the blaze.

 Read more of this story in today's print edition, or e-edition of the Grand Haven Tribune.

 

 

Post a Comment

Log in to your account to post comments here and on other stories, galleries and polls. Share your thoughts and reply to comments posted by others. Don't have an account on GrandHavenTribune.com? Create a new account today to get started.