Minor damage in Fruitport convenience store fire

A small fire at a Fruitport convenience store Thursday night was started by a cigarette butt thrown into a trash can, authorities said. Erin Trattles, an employee at Coop's Dock & Deli, 187 S. Third St., was about to close the store at 9:55 p.m. when she received a call from someone who could see smoke coming from the back of the building. Smoke could be seen coming from the rear of the building, and firefighters extinguished the blaze almost immediately.
Jordan Travis
Jul 8, 2011


Fruitport Fire Chief Ken Doctor said the fire started from a smoldering cigarette butt thrown into a trash can near the store’s back door. The fire then spread to the store’s back wall.

The fire didn’t do any structural damage to the store, Doctor said, and damage costs were estimated at $500 or less.

Norton Shores firefighters also assisted at the scene, Doctor said.


Post a Comment

Log in to your account to post comments here and on other stories, galleries and polls. Share your thoughts and reply to comments posted by others. Don't have an account on GrandHavenTribune.com? Create a new account today to get started.