Fire at home under construction in Robinson Twp.

Firefighters extinguished a fire this morning at a home under construction in the Albee's Cove subdivision, near 144th Avenue and Mercury Drive in Robinson Township. Robinson Township Fire Chief Paul VanVelzen said it appears the cause of the fire at 14258 Mackinaw Trail was due to an electrical problem with air conditioner power supply lines. "It was kind of a strange thing,' he said.
Tribune Staff
Oct 7, 2011

The fire was discovered at about 7:30 a.m. by painting contractors, who had noticed smoke in the garage when they arrived for work. They called 911. VanVelzen said that by discovering the fire when they did, the painters may have avoided a larger fire.

“If they had not stopped in when they did, another 10-15 minutes later (and) that would have been blazing,” VanVelzen said.

VanVelzen said the fire was under control in about 10 minutes and damage to the home is estimated to be about $1,500. That includes damage to floor joists and interior exterior walls near the fire.

Post a Comment

Log in to your account to post comments here and on other stories, galleries and polls. Share your thoughts and reply to comments posted by others. Don't have an account on GrandHavenTribune.com? Create a new account today to get started.