Sculpture starts house fire

A sculpture Grand Haven artist Michael Westra recently moved to the front of his house was the cause of a fire late Monday afternoon.
Becky Vargo
Jan 10, 2012

 

“It’s been around forever,” Westra said of the art, after a friend alerted him to a ruckus around his house. “I just moved it there a week ago.”

Firefighters were called to the Westra home, 1234 Sheldon Road, about 4:33 p.m. when a passer-by saw flames on the front of the house, said Sgt. Clint Holt of the Grand  Haven Department of Public Safety.

The first officer on the scene used a fire extinguisher and was able to put the fire out before it got out of control, Holt said. A thermal-imaging camera was used to make sure the fire did not extend into the house.

Holt said the only thing damaged was a plastic shutter that burned and some paint that blistered off the overhang.

Nobody was home at the time.

Holt said a prism in the sculpture caught the sun’s rays at just the right angle and focused them on the shutter, causing the shutter to ignite.

“That lens has a certain focal length to it,” Westra said. “It has to be just right or it’s not in focus. The sun was at just the right angle. It was a freaky thing.”

Westra said he never thought something like this would happen. “But I should have,” he said.

“Now I have a new project for the weekend,” Westra added.

The fire was ruled accidental, police said.

 

Post a Comment

Log in to your account to post comments here and on other stories, galleries and polls. Share your thoughts and reply to comments posted by others. Don't have an account on GrandHavenTribune.com? Create a new account today to get started.