Store's front-door sign catches fire

The transformer for a sign that hangs over the front door of a Grand Haven Township gas station and convenience store caught fire late Saturday afternoon.
Mark Brooky
Mar 3, 2012

 

The store, Express Lane Marathon at 17200 Robbins Road, was temporarily closed Saturday night because power was shut off due to the electrical fire.

The Grand Haven Department of Public Safety was called to the store shortly after 5:30 p.m. when a clerk and a customer smelled smoke, said Jeff Kriger, the department's fire investigator.

"It burned through a 2-by-4 (stud), so it's been going for a while," Kriger said. "We cut the power to the building. They'll have to have an electrician come out here."

GHDPS officers doused the fire with water. Kriger said no one was hurt, and there was no damage to the building other than the sign and facade.

GHDPS was called to the fire as the city and township mutually respond to that area. The Pizza Hut restaurant next door to the west and the D&W plaza across the street to the east are both in the city, while the gas station is in the township.

 

Post a Comment

Log in to your account to post comments here and on other stories, galleries and polls. Share your thoughts and reply to comments posted by others. Don't have an account on GrandHavenTribune.com? Create a new account today to get started.