SL home damaged in early morning fire

Police evacuated a home in the 18000 block of 148th Avenue early this morning when fire was discovered around a wood stove chimney stack.
Becky Vargo
Dec 15, 2012

 

Firefighters responded to the Cody Wasilchenko home at about 12:54 a.m. when a passer-by noticed flames shooting out of the chimney in a breezeway between the house and the garage, said Deputy Scott Ippel of the Ottawa County Sheriff's Department.

The officer, first on the scene at the home on the east side of 148th just south of Hickory Street, said he found the homeowner throwing glasses of water on a small fire in the wall behind the woodstove. Ippel said he escorted the family out of the house, then moved their cars away.

Spring Lake Township firefighters were able to quickly put out the fire with an extinguisher, said Fire Chief Rick Nuvill. They remained on the scene for almost two hours, checking for extension of fire in the walls, then mopping up the site.

Nuvill said damage was contained to the roof of the breezeway. There was also light smoke throughout the house.

Wasilchenko said his wife woke up first and smelled smoke. He went to check on it.

"You could see just a little bit of fire around the stack where it went in," he said. Wasilchenko started to put water on the fire as his wife called 911.

Crockery Township and Ferrysburg firefighters also responded to the scene.

That is because of the automatic response agreement the departments have for structure fires, Nuvill said.

 

Post a Comment

Log in to your account to post comments here and on other stories, galleries and polls. Share your thoughts and reply to comments posted by others. Don't have an account on GrandHavenTribune.com? Create a new account today to get started.