Firefighters fight smoke at GHT restaurant

A restaurant being renovated at the corner of 172nd Avenue and Hayes Street had a smoky situation Friday afternoon.
Alex Doty
Dec 28, 2012

The Grand Haven Township Fire/Rescue and Grand Haven Department of Public Safety were called to the scene at 17250 Hayes shortly before 3 p.m. Friday on reports that the building had filled with black and white smoke.

Building occupants evacuated, and Grand Haven Township Fire Chief Tom Gerencer said that firefighters tracked down the source of the smoke. They determined that it was from a mechanical fault in a water-heating unit.

“The water heater malfunctioned, and everything was contained to the water heater,” Gerencer said.

He said there wasn’t any damage to the restaurant, and everything was contained to the water heater.

Firefighters cleared the scene at about 3:30 p.m.

Post a Comment

Log in to your account to post comments here and on other stories, galleries and polls. Share your thoughts and reply to comments posted by others. Don't have an account on GrandHavenTribune.com? Create a new account today to get started.