Chief: Cause of house fire was accidental

The cause of the fire that destroyed an empty home on 144th Avenue late Wednesday night was apparently accidental, said Crockery Township Fire Chief Gary Dreyer.
Becky Vargo
Feb 16, 2013

The fire started in the area of a mechanical room on the second floor, and was possibly due to a mechanical failure, the chief said.

The house was a total loss, Dreyer said.

The owner, Seth Kooienga of Five Star Real Estate in Grandville, said he purchased the house about six months ago with the intention to fix it up and sell it. He put it on the market recently for $75,900.

Kooienga said he had been over there recently putting in some final touches. The only things in the house were some carpet, a few tools and a couple bags of trash.

The house was insured.

Post a Comment

Log in to your account to post comments here and on other stories, galleries and polls. Share your thoughts and reply to comments posted by others. Don't have an account on GrandHavenTribune.com? Create a new account today to get started.