JW's open again after smoke emergency

(UPDATED: Friday 5 p.m.) Staff and customers evacuated a Grand Haven restaurant this afternoon as light smoke filled the building.
Tribune Staff
May 10, 2013

 

Seventh Street near Washington Avenue was blocked to traffic as firefighters looked for the cause of the smoke inside JW's Food & Spirits, 6 N. Seventh St.

Emergency personnel determined the source of the smoke was a burned-out motor on a heating and cooling unit on the roof, said owner Chris Stevens. Firefighters ventilated the smoke from the building and the restaurant was back open for business in about a half-hour.

Weavers said the HVAC unit serviced the dining area, but fortunately there was no need for air conditioning because of the cooler weather.

The owner did not think the lack of heat was going to be a problem for one day.

"It's Friday night and it will be packed, so body heat will keep everyone warm," she said.

 

 

 

Post a Comment

Log in to your account to post comments here and on other stories, galleries and polls. Share your thoughts and reply to comments posted by others. Don't have an account on GrandHavenTribune.com? Create a new account today to get started.