Fire extinguished at Robbins Road laundromat

Almost a dozen customers were smoked out of a Robbins Road laundromat when a dryer caught on fire Sunday night.
Becky Vargo
May 26, 2013

“This smells bad,” said Spring Lake resident Rosine Krug as she held a towel up to her nose. “And we have two other dryers full of clothes in there.”

Her husband, Richard, said he had just moved a load of clothing from the dryer, just above the one that caught on fire, because it wasn’t drying their clothes.

Rosine said a woman noticed smoke in the lower dryer. A man grabbed an extinguisher, opened the dryer door and put out the fire.

The Krugs said some of the clothes started on fire as police wheeled them in a cart out the door.

The Grand Haven Department of Public Safety responded at about 9:20 p.m. to the fire at the Coin Laundromat in the 900 block of Robbins Road.

Sgt. Mike Ercole said officers used a water can to extinguish the fire.

The blaze was contained to the dryer.

Ercole said this was the second dryer fire in the laundromat in a month. He said a bank of about four dryers would be put out of service until they could be inspected.

The cause of the fire was under investigation, he said.

Post a Comment

Log in to your account to post comments here and on other stories, galleries and polls. Share your thoughts and reply to comments posted by others. Don't have an account on GrandHavenTribune.com? Create a new account today to get started.